For want of anything interesting to report about life down the rabbit burrow I thought I’d share with you five of my favourite quotes about writing for a living.
- I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by. Douglas Adams
- Substitute ‘damn’ every time you’re inclined to write ‘very’: your editor will delete it and the writing will then be just as it should be. Mark Twain
- The road to hell is paved with adverbs. Stephen King
- Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. E.L.Doctorow
- There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately no one knows what they are. W.Somerset Maugham
Grannyboast moment: our Connie, aged 6, won her school’s spelling bee.
I said, ‘what was the hardest word you had to spell?’
‘There,’ she said. ‘Because you can spell it three different ways and one way has an apostrophe.’
Gosh darn it, I know junior copy editors who still haven’t got that one figured.
Give that girl a book token!